Saturday, September 17, 2011

Finishing and starting

I've been looking forward to this weekend for a long time.  Noel's back, I'm off the clock at work (unlike last weekend), and sleeping late, crafting, and spending time with the kids are the only things on the agenda.  Bonus: Noel and I are going out to dinner and a movie tonight so we can catch up on all the news and gossip, and see a movie our critic friends are crazy about -- Drive.

But on the other hand, I've been aware for a while that this weekend is the last chance to draw a deep breath before I leave for Japan next Saturday.  At work this week I'll be working frantically to get everything set up for my week-long absence; at home I will have five TV Club pieces to complete, three of which will need to be done after the shows air (the other two I can write ahead of time, although I'm not going to get the screener for one until mid-week).  It's been a while since I wrote about television "live," as it were, typing up notes immediately after the show is over and posting them without much time for reflection.  It's a different way of writing, and I'll have to get back in the groove quickly; the first two episodes of How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family air back to back on Monday and Wednesday, respectively, and I'm taking over Project Runway from the masterful John Teti on Thursday.

That means there won't be much downtime in the evenings to get my bearings.  No matter what I get done or don't get done, my departure on Saturday will come when it comes.  I have to remind myself that I can sleep on the fourteen-hour transoceanic flight ... well, except for the time I have to spend grading the freshman papers that will be turned in on Friday.  Rest may have to wait until the flight back on September 30.

No comments: