Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Head east

I leave tomorrow early afternoon for a weekend meeting in Atlanta. And Noel is going to be left with quite a weekend with the kids -- ice skating field trip in Little Rock with Cady Gray on Friday, two (count 'em, two) birthday parties at the local gymnastics academy on Saturday, Super Bowl party on Sunday. Sure, it's good to have activities scheduled to keep the kids busy, but it's kind of ridiculous.

I'd be lying if I pretended I wasn't looking forward to the trip. There's some work I need to get done (and solitude will help), but in general, I'm pretty well caught up. It's been awhile since I had some time to myself. And there's important stuff to be done at the meeting I'm attending.

Too long in the trenches, and you start to forget some of the big picture. I'm hoping that there will be time to think about something other than my immediate work and family -- maybe even generate some good ideas. And I hope that Noel doesn't get fed up with being a single dad before I'm at least halfway through my busy travel semester.

Here's what I'll be missing this weekend: The further education of my little authoritarian-in-training. Check out 2, 4, and 5 in Archer's spelling word sentences for this week:

1. It will be pretty cold outside today.
2. You cannot go if you don't have permission to go.
3. Grown-up people, like Ms. Lea, are pretty old. (Beside which his teacher, Ms. Lea, wrote: "Wait a minute!")
4. Everyone must do what they are told to do.
5. You should put on your coat if you want to go outside when it's cold.

No comments: