Saturday, September 12, 2009

Long after sunset

It's been a lengthy day -- socializing and teaching students of all ages, driving back down then back up the mountain, holding my breath to see if our rather elaborate evening program came off, then relaxing with some live music. I'm pretty much beat.

This day has been hanging over me for several weeks. I always see these kind of crazy full days as cliffs in my schedule. I can't see what's down below until after I've jumped off and hit bottom, so there's no use in trying to look past them to what's coming up. I just have to put everything else aside until they're done.

The downside of this strategy is that eventually you're at the bottom of the cliff, and you have to pick up those post-cliff projects. Now that my two-places-at-once weekend is nearly over, it's time to remember childcare responsibilities, lectures that need scripts and slideshows, schedules to be constructed, deadlines I decided I could worry about later.

On the other hand, it means that we're halfway through Single Motherhood Week, and that Noel will be home before you know it, and then it will be the weekend again. And I miss my kids and there's probably something good on the TiVo. Life seems to stop, or at least you decide to put it on hold, and then when it goes on, there's some comfort in that.

No comments: