Saturday, January 23, 2010

It's chess weekend!

I don't claim to be any good at chess. So when Archer challenged me to a game this weekend, I was a little afraid I was going to get stomped.

And indeed, he surprised me early by having a global view of the board that really don't. But in the end, he betrayed a weakness that's predictable, knowing his personality and thought processes: He knows a bit too much about good positions, and was too focused on setting them up to the exclusion of seeing some of the weaknesses in other parts of the board that he was ignoring (like not seeing some of the ways I could wriggle out of a pin, and not moving his wing pawns leaving himself vulnerable to a back rank mate).

Here's the game we played. Archer kept notes, and I replayed the game on GameKnot using his notation. If you know more about chess than I do, maybe you can follow it and point out both of our mistakes. Archer is White, and he included the notations for excellent move (!!) and very bad move (??) as we progressed.




No comments: