Friday, January 6, 2012

Woo pig sooie

A dozen years living a a place will change a person. I've been an SEC partisan since my childhood days listening to John Majors call Tennessee games on the radio while working outside on fall days with my dad. But I never thought I would become one of the crimson-clad masses in this state calling the Hogs.

At some point the pride and fervor become irresistible, I suppose. I would never consider failing to tune into the Cotton Bowl tonight, along with all my neighbors, to support the flagship institution and the old-school tradition of Arkansas football.  All season I've been making the same arguments as I read in the boosterish local sports section for the quality of this team, who lost only two games this year -- to the two teams who are contending for the national championship.

Twelve years ago, I would have looked at the person I am now with bemusement. Now I'm enjoying being caught up in the statewide hysteria.  Wooooooooo pig!  Sooie!

1 comment:

the secret knitter said...

As the mourning of monoculture's diminishing suggests, many of us want something that we can enjoy and share as a big group. So it strikes me as logical that living in a place for so long would ultimately lead to some identification with the community's team. I had my time in the wilderness away from the fervently supported local school, but dropping my grudge against it (or, let's face it, the most obnoxious fans) ultimately was the right choice. (Stopping listening to sports talk radio also made it easier not to feel bludgeoned by the cryptoreligious intensity.)

I've gone to games where I have no vested interest in who wins, so it's fun to join along and cheer with the hometown fans for a couple hours. That kinship, even if it not rooted in anything deeply felt, is something I think we all seek.