Saturday, July 14, 2007

Closest book meme

Taken from Doc Thelma.
The game:
1. Grab the nearest book to you.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
Predictably, the book that's closest to me -- sitting on my couch -- is the last one I reviewed for the A.V. Club, Red Mutiny: Eleven Fateful Days On The Battlefield Potemkin. (The review will be appearing next week.)
Kirill looked back to the port, where people continued to arrive in droves. At that moment, Dymchenko approached and invited him to a special meeting that had just been called.

At noon, Matyushenko stood at the head of the long table in the admiral's stateroom, surrounded by the sailor committee. He introduced each member to the leader of Odessa's revolutionary parties, who were seated on stools and chairs about the room.
Not the most exciting section of this very engaging history, I admit. I'm sure you'll find something more intriguing when you try the game. But it does remind me that I can't read a book about Russians without thinking of the Peanuts strip where Linus is reading The Brothers Karamazov. "Don't all those long Russian names bother you?" Lucy inquires. "Oh no," Linus replies blithely. "When I get to one I can't pronounce, I just bleep right over it!"

No comments: