Saturday, August 16, 2008

Present presents

The kids had their joint birthday party at JumpZone this afternoon. It's the first birthday party I've had with the traditional bring-a-present setup, and in a way I'm sorry I capitulated to that paradigm. Everyone brought absolutely great stuff that delighted the kids. But once you set up that expectation, you can never go back. We're doomed to a deluge of toys every August. Oh, well -- it was a great ride with the book exchange parties while they lasted.

Meanwhile, bring on the loot!



I always freeze up when it's time to decide on a theme for the cake. Curious George is a perfectly wonderful children's book series and an above-average PBS animated series. But it's not like my kids have any special affinity for it over and above other themes. I guess it's time to start making homemade cakes so that candles and frosting carry the day rather than trademarked characters.

White cake with chocolate icing, by the way. I didn't get to have any because to my surprise and delight, the fifteen guests and two birthday children polished off the quarter sheet in no time.



Cady Gray was especially delighted to spend time with her friend Cora from St. Peter's Episcopal Preschool, whom she hadn't seen all summer. They're completely simpatico -- cutest couple around.



We squeezed both of them together into the Razorback-themed throne in their party room ...



... and set them to opening presents. Best Archer moment: the Price Is Right electronic game that his first grade teacher gave him. Can you say most appropriate present ever? Best Cady Gray moment: Pulling a spiral notebook out of a wonderful bag of art supplies that Cora gave her and yelling, "It's homework!"



Keep your eyes on those balloons, kids.

2 comments:

Doc Thelma said...

Adorable, as always! I just posted pictures of Panda's birthday party, if you'd like to compare notes.

Eric Grubbs said...

I'm glad their birthday cake wasn't like the ones on Cake Wrecks.