Thursday, February 11, 2010

And I keeent steeend 'em

I showed Singin' In The Rain to my film class tonight, and even though I had work to do while they watched, I couldn't help but get caught up in one of my favorite movies of all time. Here are the moments that made me giggle or sigh and kept me from checking off items on my to-do list.
  1. Studio head R.F. after the eighteen-minute eye-popping Technicolor "Broadway Melody" sequence: "I can't quite visualize it."
  2. Don standing by the cake Kathy popped out of: "Now that I know where you live, I can see you home."
  3. The director trying to keep the microphone in place on Lena Lamont: "Oh, and try not to make any sudden movements; you might disconnect it."
  4. Don's "Broadway Melody" character working his way up the Broadway ladder from vaudeville to the Ziegfeld Follies, with each iteration involving less and less dancing, until at the end he's barely moving and smoking a cigarette.
  5. "Dignity -- always dignity."
  6. "This line 'Imperious princess of the night" -- I don't like that. Can't I say what I always do: 'I love you, I love you, I love you'?"
  7. "Gotta be a rose 'cause it rhymes with Mose."
  8. And of course that crane move at the climax of "Singin' In The Rain" -- maybe the single most joyous shot in the cinema.

No comments: