Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Apple for the teacher

Around the time final exams were happening at my university, I startled awake late one night with a sinking thought: I hadn't figured out what to give the kids' teachers at the end of their school year.  Just moments later I realized that they still had more than a month left before summer break, plenty of time for me to figure it out.  I relaxed and went back to sleep.

A couple of weeks later, the question is now more pressing -- especially if I want to make something for the teachers.  It's Archer's last year at this school, and I'd like to do something small for his special activity teachers, cafeteria monitor, therapist, and principal, in addition to his classroom teacher.  Cady Gray's teacher is a young and stylish woman for whom I'd like to make a hip hat or scarf.  I can't make those for everyone else, though, or I'll run out of time and ideas.

For Christmas, they all got crochet cup cozies with Starbucks gift cards.  I'm not sure about a similarly small and quick end of year idea, though.  Apple cozies are a possibility -- they're teacher-appropriate and very adorable and unusual, but I worry that they are not all that useful.

Do you have any go-to teacher gifts in your repertoire?  If you were a teacher receiving a handmade gift, what would you wish for?

1 comment:

Doc Thelma said...

I often do the recipe-in-a-jar thing. This is my personal favorite:

http://fromajar.blogspot.com/2006/11/holiday-split-pea-soup-mix-in-jar.html