Friday, August 14, 2009

Everything's coming up Millhouse

I joked to Noel tonight that I was in the midst of the Two Days of Donna. Today I acquired a new wall in my office ... just a few inches from an existing wall, but insulated and blocking a door that had let through a lot of sound from the adjoining room. It's going to be painted a deep shade of red -- an accent wall in my battleship-gray room, just like on the HGTV design shows!

And after a three month wait and lots of shipping back and forth to the Lenovo factories deep in Red China, I have a brand new tablet to replace my beloved (but four-year-old) X60. There's nothing I like better than setting up a new piece of equipment; I can spend hour upon hour tweaking the parameters, customizing the colors and menus, researching extensions and accessories. I lost myself in that process for the whole afternoon.

And if that weren't enough, Noel has a crazy plan to take the kids to Little Rock tomorrow, let them run wild through a toy store, stuff them full of pizza and bombard their senses with video games. That means I get to stay home and do whatever I want. Maybe for two, three hours! Then later that evening, Noel and I are going out to dinner and a movie. I really don't know what I've done to deserve such largesse.

Next week, the deluge: I'll help move freshmen into the dorms on Sunday, attend three meetings (one in full academic regalia) on Monday, and then it's just more meetings and frantic preparation before classes begin on Thursday. It's the perfect time for knitting, reading, thinking, and drawing a deep, contemplative breath. I plan to do them all tomorrow.

No comments: