Monday, May 31, 2010

Busy relaxing

Like a preview of summer comes Memorial Day. Its salient feature: the need to find something for the kids to do.

I dreamed up three special activities for their school holiday -- one for each kid, and one for the whole family. This morning right after breakfast, Archer and I went running at Tucker Creek Trail. Then after I got back and changed clothes, Cady Gray and I went to Starbucks for a knitters' retreat. And after lunch, we all went down to North Little Rock for a minor league baseball game.

I've never been one to make big plans on holidays that are supposed to be about relaxing. All the organization feels too much like work. But even thought we had to make the half-hour drive to Little Rock and back for the ball game -- driving is not my favorite way to unwind -- everything else was exactly what a holiday should be. I spent quality time with each of my children, doing something we share a love for. And we all got out into the summer sun with our fellow Arkansans, cheered on some ballplayers, ate some funnel cake and frozen lemonade, and wore ourselves out.

I'm ready to get back to work tomorrow, though. To be honest, I've been looking forward to this week's two half-day prep and research retreats since the weekend started. The summer is here, and it's time to take the wheel.

No comments: