Saturday, March 15, 2008

The suite life

If you've ever been to a conference, in business or academia, you know how isolating it can be. After my long day of meetings, meals, and responsibilities, I grabbed a moment to call Noel at home. It was a surprise to learn that there had been heavy thunderstorms there the night before, and even more shocking to hear about the terrifying tornado impact on Atlanta, including on the Georgia Dome where the SEC Tournament was being played at the time. Here in Hoteldom (a suburb of Airworld), there's no weather and no time and no outside -- just windowless rooms and complimentary coffee and twenty-minute presentations with ten minutes for questions afterwards.

Because it seems a waste to have a suite and not to sit on all the available chairs, I've been watching basketball in the living area and spreading my folders around on the dining table. But let's be frank -- I don't belong in a suite by myself. Despite the positions I hold in these organizations, I'm no VIP. It's fun to play one for a weekend, though.

No comments: