Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Advantages of olden days

Archer's been bringing home a lot of practice exercises for the Arkansas Benchmark Test, which is taking place next week. I always read his open-response writing answers with interest to see how he's interpreting the questions and readings -- and to see how his brain processes an answer.

This particular prompt followed a reading selection called "The Shortcut," about a girl who was sent to bring the doctor in some 19th century crisis. Archer was asked to give at least three reasons why he would want to live in the heroine's time.
I would really like living in the time of Caroline's life. Here are three reasons why.

I can go to Dr. Harrison's and I can be done very quickly. That is because I don't even have to pay, and sometimes, Dr. Harrison knows what I need for quicker service.

I can even take a shortcut to Dr. Harrison's. It's 3.5 miles, while the road take 7 miles. But even the road can be a short distance to travel for me.

I can take the short cut and make it to Dr. Harrison's in less than an hour. It would take me 42 minutes! On the road, it would take me 1 hour, 24 minutes.

OK, so you have all 3 reasons why I'd like living at the time of Caroline. I'd really like living at that time!

1 comment:

doafy said...

From what I can tell, Archer has the greatest writing teacher in the world. I mean, he's in what, 2nd grade? 3rd? And look at his structure!! A decent thesis! Topic sentences! Concrete evidence that backs up his point!! These are things many of my seniors can't do when they come to me! I would kill for a student like Archer.