Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tapped out

I wrote last night about being cold. Yes, I was cold. But I only told you half the story.

I was also tired.

I don't think I appreciated how tired I was until after I hit the "post" button. Truth is that I was ready to crawl into bed right then -- 8 pm. I managed to last another hour, then I indulged in reading for pleasure until it was close enough to my normal bedtime to avoid total embarrassment.

Turns out I wasn't the only one who was bone-weary. I got up this morning at 6:45, a time at which both my kids have usually been up for at least half an hour. But I was the first person stirring in the house. Archer came blinking into the kitchen ten minutes later, clearly just out of bed, and when I sent him to fetch his sister, he reported that she was still fast asleep.

My bet is that my subject matter yesterday -- the penetrating cold and wind -- is not unrelated to my subject for today. It was the fight against the cold and wind that wore me out -- that, and the gray skies, and large Mexican dinner.

Today I felt completely different. The sun was old, the breeze was light, and while it was chilly, the brisk air felt invigorating rather than debilitating. I'm ready for an evening of writing about television and ... then probably crawling into bed and reading for an hour. Because that was really nice, it turns out!

No comments: