Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fifteen

One measure of a marriage is whether you look back on it from the perspective of many years and see a transformation.

Noel and I were married fifteen years ago today.  He was funny, a great writer, kind and caring.  I knew that we would share a passion for pop culture and deep thought for life.  I looked forward to a long life with my best friend.

Then everything began to change.  I became a college professor.  We moved to Arkansas.  Noel began to rise in his profession.  And most important, we decided to have a child.

I don't think we could have gotten as far in our careers if we hadn't had each other for support and second incomes. Those careers have produced some things that we're very proud of -- books, organizations, communities of interest, courses, essays, ongoing features, fan groups.  But what we never could have anticipated were the two lives we would bring into the world together.  Who could have thought that putting Noel and me together would add up to Archer and Cady Gray?  Their wonderfulness is far beyond the sum of the two of us.  And having them in our lives has changed us still further, all for the better.

The marriage is the start of it all, but it doesn't tell the whole story.  It persists underneath all the changes, all the growth, as the substrate in which they flourish.  What's most remarkable about the last fifteen years is how far they've brought us from where we started, in ways we never could have imagined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone who's spent a lot of time enjoying both your writing and Noel's over at The A.V. Club, and as someone who will be getting married next weekend, I hope you don't find it creepy when I say that I often hope that my marriage will be as much of a partnership (and as full of pop culture) as yours seems to be.