Thursday, October 20, 2011

In the valley of the sun

The NCHC conference is like no other. The bulk of the attendees are students -- although the proportion of faculty and professional staff has been growing for years. The parties are frequent and lavish. The sessions are evenly distributed between matters pedagogical and administrative, and students presenting on everything under the sun. And the discussions frequently begin, end, or break down over the vast differences among the programs who send representatives here.

I've got an exceptionally full day tomorrow, with bookings straight through from 7:30 am to 4 pm. Breathing may have to be optional; eating certainly will be. I'm ready for some sleep after a day two hours longer than I'm used to -- and that's not counting the hour early that I awoke to go to the airport.

After tomorrow, things slow down at least a bit, until Sunday morning when I'll be on the spot leading a workshop. I need to find some downtime for the many tasks I've brought with me, like grading and giving feedback, but for the next 24 hours, those to-dos will have to be set aside. Nothing adds stress to a full day of being on the spot like constant guilty reminders of the things you're not doing.

No comments: