Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Suddenly last summer

Archer wrote a composition -- well, maybe 1.5 compositions -- about our excursion to see minor league baseball last year.

Here's the first page:
Last summer I went to North Little Rock to see the Arkansas Travelers play baseball. I left after the 8th inning. The score so far was Cardinals 2, Travelers 3. I really liked the trip! (Well, that was the last game.) I'm going to go again this summer. There was a kids area. It had outrageous slides. It closes after the 7th inning.
After he got corrections from his teacher (he had written "I'm going to go again this summer" as the second sentence and crossed it out before writing it again further down), it looks like he decided to write the whole composition over again on the back, this time with intentional mistakes he could cross out and correct himself. Here's the second version:
Name: Archer Title: A Family Trip
Last summer I went to North Little Rock to see the Arkansas Travelers Play play baseball. We got to ceep track of score on a skorecard scorecard. We watched the first 4 innings, then I was in the Kidzarea Kidzone that had great slides until the 7th inning. I left after the 8th inning. The Travlers Travelers led the way 3to2 3-2. I really liked the trip! (Well, that was tha last game.) I'm going to go again this summer.

It's not surprising that he remembers all the numbers associated with the game and our visit. (Well, maybe a little surprising given that it's been ten months.) But I'm intrigued by the way he tried harder to put the events in chronological order the second time around.

1 comment:

StephanieV said...

He's such a writer!